Re: [Stripes-users] [Stripes-User] validation

Subject:   Re: [Stripes-users] [Stripes-User] validation (find more)
Date:   Oct 06, 2005 16:06

Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 13:06:29 -0700
From: Michael Jouravlev <hidden>
Sender: hidden
To: hidden
Subject: Re: [Stripes-users] [Stripes-User] validation
On 10/6/05, Tim Fennell <hidden> wrote:
> I'm not sure I fully understand your objection.  Stripes is setup to
> follow the most common flow by default.  It seems to me that nine
> times out of ten, if the user didn't enter validly formatted data
> (e.g. inserted abc for a number or date) then I probably want to
> straighten that out before executing an business validation logic.

I don't want common flow and what a user probably wants. I want to be
able to go straight to event handler, and call whataver I want:
binding, validation, create errors, etc.

> The goal being to keep the validate() method simple so that you don't
> have to check for existing errors, or do null-checks on required fields.
>
> > Right, If I return null, my event handler will not be called. If I
> > return a resolution, my event handler will not be called either. I can
> > call it manually from validation handler. To do that I need to know
> > which handler to call. How can I get this info?
> I don't understand what you mean by this.  Are we talking about
> entering things into the browser and triggering events, or about what
> to do after an event is handled?  I'd like to be able to answer this
> better, but I get the feeling that I'm missing something important in
> what you're trying to do.

Just what I wrote above: an event calls handler. Just like that.
Immediately. No behind-the-scenes processing. I want to do all the
processing that I need explicitly. The best thing would be a default
execute() method, but you use interfaces and you do not have
execute(), so it is hard to have and to override default processing.

I had enough of default processing with Struts, now I have even worse
situation with Wicket, everything is freaking final. Give me back my
Servlet.service(), but provide me with the default well-structured
code that I can call I I feel or need to. "Framework for unfaithful",
should create one myself ;-)

Could I be more emphatic? :)

Michael.